IRS Outreach Corner – Taxpayers that missed the filing Deadline

If you missed the tax deadline, these tips can help  The tax filing deadline has come and gone. If you didn’t file a tax return or an extension, but should have, you need to take action now. Here are some tips to help you:

File as soon as you can. If you owe taxes, you should file and pay as soon as you can, which will minimize the interest and penalties that you’ll owe. You can pay with your tax return when you e-file or use IRS Direct Pay, the free and secure way to pay directly from your checking or savings account. If you are due a refund, there are no late-filing penalties. The sooner you file, the sooner you’ll get your refund.

Pay as much as you can. If you owe taxes but can’t pay in full, you should pay as much as you can when you file your tax return. IRS electronic payment options are the quickest and easiest way to pay your taxes. Pay the rest of the taxes you still owe as soon as possible. Doing so will reduce additional penalties and interest.

Use the Online Payment Agreement tool to pay over time.  If you need more time to pay your taxes, you can apply for an installment agreement with the IRS. The best way to apply is to use the IRS Online Payment Agreement tool. Once you complete the online process, you’ll receive immediate notification of whether your agreement is approved. If you don’t use the tool, you can use Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request, to apply. You can get the form on the Forms and Publications page at any time.

A refund may be waiting. If you’re due a refund, you should file as soon as possible to get it. Even if you’re not required to file, you may still get a refund. This could apply if you had taxes withheld from your wages, or you qualify for certain tax credits. The fastest way to get your refund is to e-file and have it electronically deposited into your bank or other financial account.

Print Article