Generally a W-2 only has need for 4 entries in Box 12. Occasionally you will need more. When faced with this situation, you can follow this simple solution:
- Add the first four entries to the original W-2
- Add a second W-2 with the same employer ID (the program will ask you if you are sure you want to do this as precaution)
- Subtract $1 from Gross Wages in the original W-2
- Put in $1 for Gross Wages in the 2nd W-2
- Enter the additional entries for Box 12
The program will add the W-2 information together when it is sent to the IRS in the electronic file.